Application and Scope
Definition of Personal information
Collection of Personal Information
We collect most of our information about you directly from you, with your consent, when you visit one of our affiliated hospitals and/or complete and submit a Client Registration Form. More specifically, the type of personal information that we may collect about our customers includes:
- Information establishing your identity, such as your name and contact details, including the name of your spouse who has joint custody of your pet;
- Information allowing us to communicate with you, such as your email address and phone number;
- Information to allow us to process payments, such as your credit card information or other payment details;
- Information on your thoughts and opinions to allow us to improve services or service offerings; and
- Other information that is necessary to facilitate the delivery of services to you, including information pertaining to your pet and its health issues.
Use of Personal Information
VCA CANADA generally collects personal information from or about its customers for the following purposes:
- to deliver services and products which you have requested;
- to process payments and to create, establish and administer customers’ accounts;
- to respond to customer inquiries and complaints;
- to communicate with you, through various channels including telephone, computer or mail using the contact information you have provided and to authenticate the identity of customers contacting VCA CANADA by telephone, electronic means or otherwise.
- for internal training and quality assurance purposes;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and allow VCA CANADA to meet contractual requirements relating to the products and services provided to customers;
- to understand and assess the interests, wants and changing needs of customers with a view to improving our products and services; and
If you have applied for employment with VCA CANADA, the personal information submitted with your job application will be used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, we may send you information about new job opportunities within VCA CANADA as well as other career development resources.
Right to Withdraw Consent
Consent may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice; however, without such consent, VCA CANADA may limit the services or products it is able to provide customers. You may also withdraw your consent as follows:
- Mail marketing, Telephone marketing and Quality control communications. You may decide that you prefer VCA CANADA not to use your personal information to promote new and/or additional products and/or services which may be of interest to you and refuse that we contact you by mail or telephone for marketing purposes or by email or telephone for quality control purposes. If this is the case, you may advise us by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Commercial Electronic Communications. You can always limit the communications that VCA CANADA sends to you. To opt-out of commercial emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” at the bottom of any commercial electronic communication we send you. Please note that even if you opt-out of promotional communications, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account. If you have any questions about your choices or if you need any assistance with opting-out, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
Sharing of Personal Information
- Third party or affiliated service providers. We may hire service providers, which may be affiliates, to perform services on our behalf. This may include, without limitation, a person or an organization retained by VCA CANADA to perform work on its behalf. We provide them with a limited amount of information which is necessary in order for them to provide the services required. They are prohibited from using the information for purposes other than to facilitate and carry out the services they have been engaged to provide. These service providers are not permitted to disclose this information to others. VCA CANADA will strive to protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements requiring that those third parties adhere to confidentiality and security procedures and protections that are, at a minimum, equivalent to those employed by VCA CANADA itself.
- As permitted or required by law. From time to time, VCA CANADA may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or enquiry. In these circumstances, VCA CANADA will comply with applicable laws. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful or to law enforcement and emergency services providers, in an emergency or where required or permitted by law.
- Business transaction. We may disclose personal information to a third party in connection with a sale or transfer of business or assets, an amalgamation, re-organization or financing of parts of our business. However, in the event the transaction is completed, your personal information will remain protected by applicable privacy laws. In the event the transaction is not completed, we will require the other party not to use or disclose your personal information in any manner whatsoever and to completely delete such information.
- Referring or Referral Hospitals. We may share personal information with referring or referral veterinary medical facilities for the purposes of providing continuous and appropriate medical care and client services.
Only those employees of VCA CANADA or trusted third party contractors, who need access for business reasons, or whose duties reasonably so require, will be granted access to personal information about customers.
VCA CANADA generally collects and uses personal information from or about its websites visitors and users as follows:
- Information you provide. In many cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you visit or use our website. For instance, we may collect the following types of information:
- Inquiries. We may collect your name, contact information, e-mail address and any information you provide us when you make an inquiry or contact us through our websites. We will only use this information to provide you with the information requested or to contact you in order to answer your questions and/or requests.
- Requests for a Product and/or Service. We may collect your name, contact information, e-mail address and any other information provided to us when you sign up to receive our newsletter or when you submit a request or an order for a VCA CANADA product and/or service. We will only use this information to process and answer your request or to manage our everyday business needs in connection with such participation or request.
- Communication Services. We may collect your comments and publication when you post and use the bulletin board services and chat areas, news groups, forums or other communication facilities available through our websites and designated to enable you to communicate with the public at large or with a group.
- Technical information. When you visit our website, we may collect, using electronic means such as cookies, technical information. This information may include information about your visit to our website, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our website, your operating system, resolution of screen, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our websites or enhance the experience for our customers. For instance, it may be used to ensure that the services advertised on our websites are available in your area or that we are not showing you the same ads repeatedly. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information.
Personal Information Outside of Canada
In some cases, personal information that we manage may be transferred, processed and stored outside Canada, and therefore may be available to government authorities under lawful orders and laws applicable there.
Security of Personal Information
We will use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access. VCA CANADA has implemented security measures that contain administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your personal information. For example, we use industry-standard technology to secure sensitive personal information when it is being collected and transmitted over the Internet as well as firewalls, site monitoring and intrusion detection software.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. VCA CANADA has developed and implemented detailed retention principles, and will ensure destruction of personal information in a method that prevents improper access.
Access and Correction
VCA CANADA respects your right to access and correct your personal information. VCA CANADA complies with all laws regarding access and correction. If you need assistance updating your personal information, please contact your local hospital or the VCA CANADA hospital you have visited for any request to update or amend your personal information. To avoid delays in obtaining your information, please provide sufficient detail to permit us to identify you and the specific information that you are requesting. Please note that there may be instances where access may be restricted as permitted or required by law. Examples may include information that:
- could threaten the life or security of another individual;
- would reveal personal information about another individual;
- would reveal the identity of someone who provided an opinion about another individual in confidence, when that person does not consent to revealing their identity;
- subject to legal
How to Contact Us
- Brandon Zweerman, Chief Privacy Officer
- VCA Canada
- By email: email@example.com